A number of other imaging systems are available:
- Within the In vivo Microscopy Core
- A Bio-Rad Confocal Mouse Imaging System
- An Epifluorescence Imaging System
The Cellvizio system was developed by Mauna Kea Technologies and allows in situ molecular imaging in the near-infrared wavelength at microscopic magnification. The system is based on Fibered Confocal Fluorescence Microscopy (FCFM) technology and works as a confocal endoscope. It provides real-time minimal or non-invasive in vivo imaging. The excitation wavelength of 660 nm makes it compatible with many molecularly targeted fluorophores and other probes including Cy 5.5, Angiosense 680, and Alexa Fluor 680. The system is composed of 3 parts:
- A laser scan unit (LSU) with a 660 nm coherent source, high-speed scanning system, and a sensitive detector;
- A ProFlex flexible microprobe with tens of thousands of fibers, a high-precision connector, and custom miniature objectives;
- ImageCell software, which provides real time control, on-the-fly image processing, and quantitative capabilities.
Applications of the system include angiogenesis studies, tumor detection and characterization, functional and morphological imaging and treatment evaluation.